Thursday, November 17, 2005

The Autobahn

Just came back from a business trip to Germany.. my co-worker let me drive his Volvo wagon on the Autobahn! There's no limits on the Autobahn (in certain sections). So, I took the car up to 100 mph (160 kph), and occassionally up to 125 mph (200 kph)! Wow! It was so effortless for that car... I think my Honda would be shaking apart at that speed. It's interesting to see the BMW's or the Mercedes, zooming on the leftmost lane, flashing their lights WAY in advance to let you know they're overtaking. I'd be going around 90 mph (140 kph), and these guys would just blow by.

Unfortunately, there's only short sections of the Autobahn that you can do this, mainly because of congestion, construction, or limited speed areas to 100-120 kph (~60mph). Either way, it's a great feeling, even though I only hit 200 kph for 10 seconds before having to slow back down.

No comments: